Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Wanna Go Lion Hunting?


Hey I know in Australia we're a little laid back about things so when one of my Church Planter mates from the USA put me onto this book I thought I'd give it a read.

Now I haven't finished it yet, but so far it Mark has hit it out of the park.

Now this book is written for BLOKES. And for that alone it's worth a read. But if you're simply passionate about following Jesus this is simply a book aimed at encouraging the members of Christ's family to follow the King and be ruthless about living the gospel. I'll give you a taste of Mark's thoughts on the issue from his blog.

Yesterday I preached about Jonathan climbing a cliff while Saul sat under a pomegranate tree on the outskirts of Gibeah. I love Jonathan's modus operandi in I Samuel 14: Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. It took guts to climb that cliff. But a little bit of guts saved the nation of Israel.
It took guts for Benaiah to chase a lion. For the normal person, the gut reaction would be to run away. But Benaiah made a gutsy move--he chased the lion. And it changed the course of His life.

Great leaders are gutsy! It takes different shapes in different arenas. But gutsy leaders dare to be different. Gutsy leaders challenge the status quo. Gutsy leaders refuse to play it safe.

And no one was more gutsy than Jesus! He wasn't afraid of offending Pharisees; touching lepers; washing feet; defending prostitutes; or befriending tax collectors. In the words of Dorothy Sayers:

To do them justice, the people who crucified Jesus did not do so because he was a bore. Quite the contrary; he was too dynamic to be safe. It has been left for later generations to muffle up that shattering personality and surround him with an atmosphere of tedium. We have declawed the lion of Judah and made him a housecat for pale priests and pious old ladies.

No comments: